Monday, June 23, 2014

Happy Anniversary and Go Spurs Go!

This July is our 5th year anniversary.  Matt and I usually don't get each other anything for anniversaries, we'd rather have a nice dinner date or a weekend away to celebrate. But this year, I had a great idea and thought of a way I could actually surprise him (for once!)

The traditional five year anniversary gift is wood. Wood?  What kind of gift can I give related to wood?!  hmmmmm.....

wood-->wood floors-->basketball court-->Spurs basketball game-->game 2 of the 2014 NBA Finals?!  Yes!  That's it!

I knew he would love it.  Now just to make it happen!  After talking with lots of friends and coworkers to get their advice/input, I secured us two tickets to game two (Sunday June 8th).  I then ordered some Spurs shirts to be shipped to my office (can you believe there were NO Spurs shirts in Houston?!, what's up with that?!).  I cleared with one of Matt's coworkers that he didn't have anything major on the calendar for the Monday after the game,  now all that was left to do was share the surprise with him!

I put the shirts in a computer paper box  (really lame looking gift), and brought it out as we were about to sit down for dinner the Wednesday before the game.

"I wanted to get you something for our anniversary.  The 5 year traditional gift is wood......blah, blah, blah, Surprise!  We are going to game 2!"

After a series of events, we ended up with three more tickets to game 2, so Emily and Chris joined us on the drive to SA, where we picked up Martha for the game.  To make this the best weekend ever, I asked Matt where he'd like to have lunch before we headed to SA, of course, the answer was Newk's.

We made it to SA In great time, picked up Martha and headed to the AT&T Center!



Happy Anniversary and Go Spurs Go!




We got to the AT&T Center early so we had time to walk around, check out all the things to do:
Play a little virtual hockey, 

 shoot some hoops!


Then we took turns using our tickets to go down on the floor and scope out the players!

Ginoooobliiiiiiii

Right after Ginobli waved to us!


Look who else we ran into!  Nick was at the game with his aunt and had seats near us!

Blurry view from our seats.  Section 103!

So amazing to experience an NBA Finals game!

Tim, Tony, Kwai Lenard, Lebron

I love this one!



So you may remember, the Spurs lost this game (though they went on to win the series in game 5, back in SA 4-1).  So we were a little bummed, BUT, then we met Johnny Manziel.  So I would say the night ended well!  Gig 'em Johnny!

 After dropping Martha back at home, we stopped at Taco Cabana (Chris' first trip!), for a little snack for our trip back to Houston!  In true college student fashion, we needed some tacos before we could make the three hour drive home, so we could go to work the next day.  Wait, college students don't have to go to work.....oh wait, we aren't in college any more!  We can pretend for one day.

It was an amazing experience I will remember for a long time.  I loved that we could celebrate our anniversary (a month early) with a game, and a "celebrity" siting that encompassed a lot of things Matt loves!

Thanks for everyone who helped me pull off the surprise!

Happy 5 years my love!  Here is to 95 more!  I love you!



No comments:

Post a Comment