Saturday, our last day in Alaska, we got up early, had a quick breakfast and headed to the Six Mile River for our rafting trip. We drove again by the Turnagain Arm to the river. I was a little nervous because I've never been rafting before, and this river had three canyons that were category 4 and 5 (out of five), PLUS, it had been raining for a few days so I think it was rougher than normal too! eek!
sweet views on the way down
gearing up in our dry suits....don't worry, you can still feel the cold water!
(pics from here on down were taken by others in our group as well as the professional pictures from the rafting trip)
swim test. way harder than it looks!
here we go
so this is the first of three canyons, "the Predator", where Callie fell out, Joe was yelling at our guide, I was freaking out and Britt saved Callie. Pretty eventful, and scary. (after this, Callie, Joe and I decided to sit the rest of the way out because the rapids were a little more intense than we were enjoying)
Matt, Britt and Jeff in the last canyon
After rafting we stopped at the busiest and probably prettiest Tesora gas station in the country. I didn't get a good picture but there were literally 100s of people there. We also saw two rams on the cliffs next to the Turnagain Arm.
When we got home we had a few hours before our flight out. We packed out stuff, washed the Sperry's cars (in shorts!! it was like 65 degrees outside) and reflected on the most amazing week! At the airport we saw Dr. Loftin again and actually got to ride on the bus to the parking lot with him and his family! So cool!
The map below shows our route in purple for the week.
Thank you so much to the Sperry family for all you did to make this week an absolutely incredible adventure. This was definitely a once in a lifetime experience that I hope we get to do again sometime!

No comments:
Post a Comment